Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Into the new year - with lots of colours




I finished weaving a blue scarf for myself,
blue is my favorite colour :-), for next winter.










  I wanted to weave a table runner with Recycled Sari Silk, which I heard so much about.
 First I didn't have any of the 5ply Bendigo cotton left and decided to use the "Palm Beach" cotton in 3 strands.
Actually the cotton behaved very well, no tangles or twisting in bunches, - but the disadvantage is that it does not provide the same amount of "body".
It still looks very fine!




The recycled Sari silk felt heavy and not nice to the touch. It took me a while to work it out :-) and washed it!! It made a big difference. The yarn is now soft and does not feel heavy. I added a strand of "glitz" and wove a bit, but the fabric felt too thin for a table runner, well, - I like a thicker fabric!


I ended up winding 2 strands of recycled sari silk and the glitz together, usind a longer shuttle to get the whole yarn without having to cut it - and not get too bulky to go through the shed.
That worked out well, I just have to be careful when "wielding that long shuttle" :-)
So, here I am weaving my way into the New Year with lots of colours!

Thank you to all my friends for all your nice wishes!

May the New Year have lots of weaving hours (writing hours, crafting hours, painting hours - which ever applies to you!)
but most of all keep happy and healthy!
Cheerio!

6 comments:

K Spoering said...

Have a new year that is as lovely and bright as your weaving is!

tikarmavodicka said...

Hi Mum,

The scarf has indeed turned out very lovely!
I hope it will keep you nice and nice and warm and keep out those chills when the cooler weather sets in.

The colours on the recycled sari sik are wonderful! So very bright and cheerful! :-)

I wish you all the best of success and contentment as you continue your weaving.

May the New Year bring many more colours your way and may it be a productive, creative and inspiring year for you.

with much love
Pats for Karley and
((HUGS)) for you
Tikarma
xoxoxo

kaiteM said...

Your weavings are very bright, the sari silk would have benefitted greatly from a wash, gets rid of all the rubbish and dirt and softened it. A happy New Year 2012 to you, lots of crafty time and garden time.

Vera L Hazelgrove said...

Hi Vera,

Just a note to say that, once again, I am struggling to comment on your blog.

But I wanted to say how much I admire your determination to set yourself new challenges.

And I love the colours

With very best wishes to you and Karley for 2012.

Lots of love

David

Sorry, David,
I've tried everything - I hope it will work better next time.
Thank you for your nice comment and best wishes for the new Year for you too!!!!

Kathy, Tikarma and Kaite
Thank you also for your nice wishes!
I'm wishing you all a really great New Year! and thank you all for visiting and writing !!!!

Mary said...

HI Vera. Best wishes to you too.
I was glad to read about the sari silk, I have bought some recently and not used it yet, so now I know I should wash it first. I just love the colours.
It makes me hot just thinking about a woolen scarf at the moment but it is lovely. How do you go weaving in this heat?

Vera L Hazelgrove said...

With the fan, a headband (the sporty one so I don't drip :-) and a damp T-shirt. The time goes quicker doing something and at least weaving slowly but steadily at a small loom is not really physically demanding. Trust the New Year to start with a heat wave - two days with 41degrees and 30 degrees during the night ... anyway, - I made it! :-)and it will be cooler for a while.